I am still having fun with my “Learning the Alphabet” series and I hope that you are too! Chicka Chicka Boom Boom is my absolute favourite alphabet book. I thought that if would be cute to create some alphabet playdough mats on this theme and here they are!!
Print out , trim to size and laminate these cards before use to make them durable.
You can use these mats in number of ways:
- Use your child’s pointer finger as a pencil and practice forming the letters.
- Roll playdough into long sausage shapes and bend them to create the letter.
- Roll playdough into lots of small balls and place them inside the letter outline to create the letter.
- Use them in conjunction with the story book “Chicka Chicka Boom Boom”. As you read the story have your child find and lay the letters out on the floor. This will test letter recognition skills and help develop alphabetic order skills.
These Chicka Chicka Boom Boom playdough letter mats have a number of educational benefits:
- rolling playdough into balls and sausages develops hand-eye coordination, wrist flexibility and muscular strength which will prepare your child from writing with a pencil.
- your child will develop a muscular memory of letter shapes that will assist with remembering how to form letters when using a pencil.
- they are a fun, no stress way to develop letter recognition
Extra Challenge: challenge your child to create something from playdough that begins with that letter. If your child has played Cookie Monster’s Letter of the day game it should be easy! Click here to play
Top Tip: Place the Chicka Chicka Boom Boom play dough letter mats on a cheap baking tray from Tesco. This will help to keep the playdough from hitting the floor!
Miss Mernagh :)